Privacy Northlakes/Eastlakes Medical recognises the important role privacy and discretion plays in the relationship between patient and healthcare provider. We remain committed to protecting your privacy at all times.
We require your consent to collect personal information about you and to use the information you provide in the following ways. Please read this information carefully
- Administrative purposes in running our medical practice.
- Billing purposes, including compliance with Medicare and Health Insurance Commission requirements.
- Disclosure to others involved in your healthcare including treating doctors and specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur though referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the reports or results returned to us following referrals.
- Disclosure to other doctors in the practice, locums etc. attached to the practice for the purpose of patient care and teaching.
- For research and quality assurance activities to improve individual and community health care and practice management. Usually information that does not identify you is used but should information that will identify you be required you will be informed and given the opportunity to “opt out” of any involvement.
- To comply with any legislative or regulatory requirements eg notifiable diseases.
- For reminder letters which may be sent to you regarding your health care and management.
You can decline to have your health information used in all or some of the ways outlined above but it may influence our ability to manage your health care to provide the best outcome for you.
For each patient, we have an individual patient health record (paper, electronic or a combination of both, “Hybrid”) containing all clinical information held by our practice relating to that patient. We ensure all information kept on file remains protected.
Our patient health records can be accessed by an appropriate team member when required. We also ensure information held about the patient in different records (for example, at a residential aged care facility) is available when required.
At Northlakes/Eastlakes Medical, Practice Manager Jane Farnworth holds primary responsibility for the centre’s electronic systems, computer security and adherence to protocols as outlined in our Computer Information Security policy.
Northlakes Medical is bound by the Federal Privacy Act (1988) and National Privacy Principles, and also complies with the Victorian Health Records Act (2001).
As a patient of our medical practice we require you to provide us with your personal details and a full medical history, so that we may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs.
Please be considerate of others and cancel your appointment with a minimum two hours’ notice to allow us to fill that appointment with another person. Failure to do so on more than three occasions will result in a $25 fee payable to the practice.
The practice maybe contacted by email for generic enquiries.
It is the practices policy to not put patients through to the Doctor on the phone while they are consulting unless it is an emergency. Our reception are able to take a message or assist with your enquiry.
Most tests take at least a few days to be returned to your Doctor. It is recommended if you would like to discuss them with your doctor please make an appointment as results are not able to be given out on the phone unless of an emergency.
At Northlakes and Eastlakes Medical we take your concerns seriously. If you would like to make a complaint about our care please call our practice manager on 0243 900 688 to discuss further.
If you prefer to make a complaint to an external authority you may choose to contact: Health Care Complaints Commission, Locked Bag 18, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012 or phone 1800 043 159.
If you are concerned about the privacy of your records you may choose to contact the National Privacy Commissioner: ph 1300 363 992.
Alternatively to complain about an individual Practitioner you may contact The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency on 1300 419 495.